Law & Legal Studies

Saddled with Debt after Law School? You Have Options.

Saddled with Debt after Law School? You Have Options.
Image from
Noodle Staff profile
Noodle Staff March 20, 2012

If you're interested in going into public service after law school, you may get help with your loans through Loan Repayment Assistance Programs.

Noodle Courses

Article continues here

Are you a law school grad saddled with a lot of student debt? If you're interested in doing public service work you may be able to get assistance repaying your loans, or even loan forgiveness.

Many states and law schools offer some form of Loan Repayment Assistance Programs, or LRAP, for lawyers working in the following fields:

Civil Legal Aid

Non-Profit Organizations


Public Defenders


In order to be eligible for most state-sponsored aid, you must be working in that state. But there are some exceptions, check out this list from the American Bar Association. You can also see their list of aid amounts and sources here.

Due to budget cuts the following states have suspended applications for assistance: Kentucky, Washington, Indiana, Missouri and Nebraska. Otherwise, if your state isn't on the ABA list, you might be able to start an LRAP yourself. Here's a guide from the ABA about how to do it.

Many law schools also offer LRAP programs. Click here for a list of schools from Equal Justice Works.

Got questions? Both the American Bar Association and Equal Justice Works provide comprehensive information about LRAPs and how to apply to them.


Noodle Courses