Going into a Starbucks can be a bit overwhelming if you’re not a regular customer. There are a bountiful amount of beverages to choose from and, not only that, there are endless ways they can be modified. As a former barista, it was always a joy to experiment with different flavor combinations. With a wide variety of syrups to choose from, the possibilities are endless.
To decrease your Starbucks ordering anxiety, I have a few tips to make ordering more efficient and help your local barista make your drink correctly. Don’t worry if you’re not familiar with the names of the various sizes. For example, it’s perfectly acceptable to ask for a large mocha; the barista will know that it’s a venti. Remember that most of the espresso beverages come hot as a standard, so don’t assume that the barista knows you wanted your drink iced. Finally, Starbucks has specific policies when it comes to what you get charged for in your beverage. On occasion, you will encounter a few baristas who will not charge you the 60 cents for non-dairy milk, but if a barista is following the policy, please don’t be angry. The barista is just doing their job.
I asked, to expand my Starbucks drink preferences, seven Starbucks baristas what their favorite drinks were, and the answers will certainly get you excited for your next trip to the coffee shop.
1. Stephanie Lalor: Grande Coconut Milk Latte, with two pumps toffee nut syrup and two pumps hazelnut. The smooth, velvety flavor is sure to soothe your soul on a cold day.
2. Melanie Lewis: Venti Starbucks Doubleshot on Ice, with hazelnut syrup and coconut milk. This drink will undoubtedly wake you up and get you going on a busy day.
3. Thomas Beck: Grande Almond Milk Latte, with two pumps toffee nut and two pumps vanilla. This drink will give you a nutty sensation.
4. Robyn Bridges: Venti Double Dirty Chai, with almond milk. The blend of spices in the chai combined with the flavor of the almond milk makes for a satisfying combination.
5. Kimberly Kushwa: Venti White Iced Tea, unsweetened, with peach infusion. Not into coffee? This iced tea is the perfect blend of tea and fruit to cool you off on a hot summer day.
6. Kimberly Richmond: Venti Iced Cinnamon Almond Macchiato. This drink is topped with a drizzle of caramel sauce, combined with the almond milk and cinnamon is an indulgence that will please your palate.
7. Ailish Johnson: Salted Caramel White Hot Chocolate. This decadent drink is perfect around the holidays, it is sure to warm you up on a cold and blustery day.
I hope this list prepares you for whatever mood you’re in when you make your next Starbucks run, and remember to thank your local barista. We often work weekends and holidays so a simple thank you and a thoughtful smile can go a long way!