Affordable Options for an Online Master’s in Healthcare Administration
March 10, 2021
If you’re passionate about pursuing a career in healthcare administration, you’ve most likely considered obtaining your master’s degree in this field.
If you’re passionate about pursuing a career in healthcare administration, you’ve most likely considered obtaining your master’s degree in this field. This is an excellent way to advance your career, as well as enhancing your knowledge and expertise in the subject. Maybe you’ve decided that online courses are the most practical, but you don’t want to break the bank to achieve your goal. This article will outline some tips for obtaining cheaper MHA degrees online.
Considerations to Keep in Mind
It’s no easy choice when you’re deciding whether a Master’s in Healthcare Administration is worth it.
But if you’re certain that this is the path for you, you’ll want to be clear on what goals you hope to achieve. The field of healthcare is booming, and the needs are enormous. Baby Boomers are reaching ages when health problems arise, as well as the possibility of chronic diseases increasing. The need for competent individuals to be in leadership roles can’t be stressed enough.
Financing your online master’s degree in healthcare administration can be a challenge, but keep the following options in mind:
- Assistance through your current employment. Some employers offer incentives to their employees such as tuition assistance. It’s certainly worth looking into.
- Financial aid from the government. While graduate students don’t qualify for most grants, there may be some bank loan availability. Check out the application for student aid.
- Benefits for veterans or military members. If this applies to you at all, or if you’re a dependent of someone who fits this criteria, you may be eligible for discounts on tuition as well as additional benefits. Check with the college you’re going to be taking the online classes from to see what programs are offered for this group.
An additional consideration is accreditation. When deciding on a college, it’s absolutely worth any extra cost to pursue your master’s degree from a school that is properly accredited. The standards for a particular field of study, including healthcare administration, are defined by the U.S. Dept of Education.
Your Next Step
Once you’ve completed your research and decided where you’d like to seek your online master’s degree in healthcare administration, you may wonder what should happen next. When you’re trying to get accepted into a particular grad school, it may seem an overwhelming venture, but it’s easiest when taken in small parts.
Other things to keep in mind:
- Consider your current situation. If your bachelor’s degree is behind you, how were your grades? More opportunities exist for people who had good grades in their major field of study. According to US News and World Report, some more selective graduate schools only accept 1 out of every 10 applicants. This might affect where you decide to apply because some colleges have a more stringent policy than others.
- Obtain the necessary skills. If you’re already employed in the field, make sure you take advantage of every opportunity to pick up skills that will be beneficial in graduate school. Ultimately, they could positively impact your career.
- Shoot for 600s on your GRE. This will vary from one grad school to another, but better scores translate to more options for you.
- Have an accurate view of grad school. Even though you’re getting to specialize in healthcare administration, you probably won’t love every single class you are required to take. Be prepared for the long haul and realize that the payoff will be worth all your hard work.
Tending to some other matters will also make it easier for you to do well in your classes. For one, have realistic expectations about online classes, in case you’ve never taken them before. They’re just as challenging as in-person classes. It’s the convenience that gives them an advantage.
Make sure your internet is reliable, even if that means seeking a different provider. Along with this, have a space designated specifically to study. Sitting on the living room couch will not be conducive to focusing on your studies because of all the potential distractions.
Make a study plan for yourself and stick to it. This will involve creating to-do lists as well as setting time-focused goals for yourself.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You can surely try seeking answers to questions independently, but it’s wise to contact your instructor when necessary. That will save on stress and make you a more effective student.
Take part in online discussions related to your classes. Plenty of learning can happen outside of the regular classwork, and you don’t want to miss out on these opportunities.
Keep your motivation up. This may look different for each person. Perhaps for you, it may mean decorating your study area with inspirational quotes or taking frequent breaks while studying. Always remember what your final goal is.
In closing, it’s clear that making the decision to get your master’s degree in healthcare administration is a major undertaking. Online classes make it more accessible for people who are employed or have other responsibilities. Finding the most affordable online MHA programs can require a bit of research but is definitely doable.
The need for qualified people who will step up and be leaders in the healthcare industry continues to grow which explains why so many have chosen to pursue their education in this field. The market is far from saturated, so the door is still wide open for you.