What It’s Really Like To Live Abroad
January 24, 2020
It’s surprising how one single thought can change your life forever. Living abroad has always been a dream of mine, and for a few weeks I was able to do it.
It’s surprising how one single thought can change your life forever. Living abroad has always been a dream of mine, and for a few weeks I was able to do it. However, living in another country isn't always easiest thing to do. Here are some realities about living abroad, as well as some amazing reasons as to why you should go for it!
1. You experience personal growth. As cliché as it may sound, you really become a more independent person. Being thrown into a new country with different customs and traditions forces people to step outside of their comfort zone.
2. Unique experiences and friendships. Traveling to a whole new country by yourself is terrifying. However, not only will you grow from meeting new people from cultures that are unlike your own, but you will leave with a more open mind and an even greater appreciation for our world’s diversity. Although being far from home may make you miss your friends and family, the unique things you do and the people that you meet will make up for that homesickness.
3. You become more than a tourist. I only lived in these cities for a few weeks, and when I arrived, I decided to not do the typical tourist things. Instead, I chose to go and talk to strangers, sit in a normal cafeteria, and observe how people interacted. I truly immersed myself in the culture.
4. You will struggle with anxiety and how to invest your money . One of the disadvantages of living alone is that you have to manage your money when it comes to food, going out, clothes, and anything else that requires money. Sometimes, it can be hard to deal with this responsibility.
5. You can learn about different cultures. I have always been fascinated by all the different cultures from around the world. By living abroad, I was immersed in a brand new culture. The insights that I gained just simply can’t be learned from a book.
6. Once in a lifetime opportunity. All I can say is: live in the present. I cannot tell you how many conversations I’ve had where people have told me that they envy my experiences and travels and regret not doing it themselves. My advice to you is to pack your bags and just go for it. The journey of living abroad will change your life just like it changed mine, and you will feel nothing but fulfillment.